Bringing a puppy home is an exciting experience, especially if it’s your first time being a pet owner. The idea that you have a new companion at home will definitely bring you a quick source of happiness. However, you need to understand that being a pet owner is also a huge responsibility. Remember, pets need attention, love, and care. Thus, if you are leading a busy life, you need to think twice before deciding to bring a pet home. Keep in mind that it will be your responsibility to ensure they remain happy and comfortable, especially because they will be transferred to a new home. They will be placed in a totally different environment, so you need to help them adjust to their new life.
Understanding a Puppy’s Basic Needs
Being a first-time puppy owner can be challenging, especially if you don’t have any idea about the basic needs of a puppy. Thus, you need to make sure that you take some time to perform some research to gain more information about how to raise a healthy and happy puppy. Here are some useful tips to get started:
- Food—Forget about the idea that you can feed your puppy leftovers. Remember that your puppy needs proper nutrition to remain strong and healthy. Thus, make sure to purchase food ideal for their age. If you don’t have any idea about this, you can research the most recommended puppy diet on the internet. You can also ask your veterinarian about how to prepare a healthy diet for your pooch.
- Bed—You need to prepare a decent bed for your puppy. This way, he/she will remain comfortable lounging or resting at home. It can be a small and simple bed placed in your living room, or you can build your puppy his/her own humble home outside your home. The idea here is to make sure your pooch will have a comfortable space to rest and sleep.
- Toys—Dogs are playful and active creatures, so you need to invest in toys. Make sure to get one that is toxic-free or simply those that don’t contain chemicals or products that may harm your puppy. Toys can help keep your puppy entertained which is useful, especially if you are too busy doing other obligations at home.
- Vaccines—Ensure that your puppy received all necessary vaccines from your trusted veterinarian. Ask for reliable medication as well for treating or preventing ticks and fleas. The goal is to ensure your puppy remains healthy and free from any possible health risks and discomforts.
How to Help Your Pooch Adjust to a New Home
Aside from investing in the abovementioned products and tools, you also need to prepare additional things to help your puppy adjust to being in a new home. This is especially true if they came from an animal shelter. You need to make sure your puppy won’t feel scared or uncomfortable when he/she arrives home. Here are a few additional reminders to help your puppy adjust to your home:
- Give your puppy time to explore his/her new home—Some puppies feel easily comfortable regardless of their new environment. However, some take time before they open up to their new owner. Thus, make sure to give your puppy time to adjust and explore his/her new environment. Don’t force your pooch to do anything at first, as they might be already feel stressed and pressured.
- Provide your puppy his/ her own safe spot
- Build a routine to help him/her develop daily habits—Teach your puppy to follow certain habits by helping him/her build a routine. For instance, have a consistent time for feeding your pooch. This way, he/she will not bother you if it’s not yet time to eat. You can also help your pup build the habit of taking potty breaks at a certain time of the day.
- Train your pooch some tricks—Dogs love to play, and they also love learning new things. Thus, make sure to take some time to teach your puppy some tricks. These activities may include simple things like knowing the designated potty spot or giving you a high five. If you want to train your puppy with other important tricks, you can find a professional dog trainer. Find someone who offers training for puppies to help ensure your furry friend learns new and useful tricks.
You can expect that your puppy will bring huge and positive changes in your life. With your new pet, your days will become livelier and more fun. Thus, you must do your best to become a responsible pet owner. Help the newest member of your family adjust to your home. Make sure he/she feels comfortable and happy by providing proper care and guidance. Also, don’t hesitate to seek professional help whenever you need expert assistance, especially when maintaining your puppy’s health and well-being.